Arriva Buses Wales depot to close for 14 days due to Covid-19 infections

News stories are free to read. Click here for full access to all the features, articles and archive from only £8.99.

Arriva has issued a statement in regards to a depot closure in Wales due to Covid-19:

“Arriva Buses Wales has temporarily closed its Wrexham Depot as of 2000hrs on 12 January for a period of up to 14 days. This is due to a number of employees being diagnosed with Covid-19. This decision has been taken in full consultation with Wrexham Council and Public Health Wales, to ensure the safety of our staff at this crucial time.

“The decision will affect our services over the next few days and we are advising all customers to check the Arriva website or Arriva app before they travel. We are prioritising routes that our key worker customers require for their essential journeys including services 1, 5 and X51.

“All other services are currently suspended and our Wrexham staff have been placed on furlough during the closure. We are activating contingency plans so that we can safely redeploy resources which may allow us to re-introduce some routes over the coming days.

“Arriva Bus Wales has closely worked with public health agencies, local transport authorities, experts and trade unions to protect employees and customers from Covid-19 as much as possible. This includes ensuring enhanced cleaning regimes remain in place and that all touch-point surfaces on our buses and in our depots are regularly deep cleaned. Our drivers sit behind screens that separate them from customers and if they need to leave the cab, they wear face coverings. Customer seating within two metres are not in use. We also encourage contactless payment where possible.

“We will continue to support Public Health Wales and local authorities whilst following all the latest Covid-19 guidance, as the priority remains keeping our colleagues and customers safe. We wish a speedy recovery for our colleagues who have been affected by Covid-19 and will be supporting them in a safe return to Wrexham Depot in the future”