Arriva enters accessible transport sector in Rome

News stories are free to read. Click here for full access to all the features, articles and archive from only £2.99.

Italy

Arriva Italy has launched a specialist service as part of a new contract in Rome to provide dedicated transport for students with reduced mobility and special educational needs. Arriva will operate 80% of the contract, in partnership with Meditral, a health sector transport specialist, which will operate the remaining 20% of servies.

More than 240 specialised nine passenger vehicles with space for two wheelchair users will be used on the contract, serving 228 routes and transporting around 1,000 passengers every day. Dominic Palleschi, Interim Managing Director Mainland Europe at Arriva Group, said: “As a company that strives for inclusivity every day, we are extremely proud of the team in Italy who have worked in partnership with the Rome passenger transport authorities to design a solution which will continue to make the city more accessible for its students”.

Arriva has been operating in the Italian market since 2002, mainly in Northern Italy, as well as shuttle services to Turin and Milan airports. The company operates around 100 million bus kilometres a year in the country, with 2,500 vehicles and 3,500 employees.

ARRIVA