TC suspends Widnes ‘selfie’ driver

News stories are free to read. Click here for full access to all the features, articles and archive from only £2.99.

A Widnes bus driver has had his PCV entitlement suspended by a Deputy Traffic Commissioner (DTC) after he was reported by a member of the public for using taking a ‘selfie’ photograph on his mobile phone whilst driving a bus, CBW has learned.

After holding a driver conduct hearing on May 19, DTC Miles Dorrington ordered that Paul Coleman, 23, will not be allowed to drive professionally until June 18. During the conduct hearing, Paul agreed he had put other road users and passenger safety at risk by using his mobile phone whilst driving.

He told the DTC he had learnt from his mistake and would never do it again. He had since secured employment with another bus firm and had given the new employer full details about the incident.

Mr Coleman had been captured using his mobile phone whilst driving the bus on CCTV footage. The vehicle was carrying passengers at the time of the incident.

The matter was brought to the attention of the TC’s Office by Paul’s previous employer, Halton Transport.

Colin Stafford, MD at Halton Transport told CBW: “A member of the public reported the incident to us. When we viewed the CCTV, we found the driver taking ‘selfie’ photos on his mobile phone. He was relieved of duties and disciplined, resulting in his dismissal from our company. For offences like mobile phone usage, we will always report these to the TCs’ office. We do not condone actions of this type and welcome the action taken by the TCs, which we hope will send out the message to all road users especially professional drivers.”

Asked by CBW what activity the driver was engaged in, a spokesman for the Office of the Traffic Commissioner replied: “The CCTV footage indicates that he was using the phone but not talking on it.”