The fee for calibration and periodic inspection of tachographs will be deregulated from January 1, 2012, following a consultation with the industry.
The deregulation of the fee may result in:
- approved tachograph centres and vehicle operators being able to negotiate a fair fee for the calibration and inspection of tachographs;
- geographical variations in cost being accounted for;
- support for vehicle operators looking to have tachographs calibrated during unsociable hours;
- “future-proof” calibration/ inspection against technological changes which will affect how much work will be involved in the inspection and calibration of tachographs;
- the removal of the need for future government involvement in fee setting; and
- incentives for companies considering becoming an approved tachograph centre.
From January the fee charged by approved tachograph centres will be a commercial matter to be agreed with the customer presenting the vehicle.
The existing fees are still in place up to and including December 31, 2011.
A summary of the consultation responses can be found at www.vosa.gov.uk/tachograph-fee-deregulation