Government issues practical guidance for operators and drivers after Brexit

News stories are free to read. Click here for full access to all the features, articles and archive from only £8.99.

The government has issued guidance for operators and drivers on what steps they need to take to continue to operate in the EU after Brexit, which can be found on the website.

If there is a no-deal Brexit, the UK will join the Interbus Agreement. This is an agreement about the international occasional (not scheduled) carriage of passengers by bus or coach. It applies to the EU, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldova, Turkey and Ukraine.

Drivers will need to carry these documents with them:

  • A certified copy of their company’s standard international operator licence;
  • The top copy of the Interbus waybill – buy this from the Confederation of Passenger Transport; and
  • A copy of the vehicle log book (V5C).

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, operators can continue to run existing, authorised scheduled services to EU countries until 31 July 2020. They cannot apply for new authorisations or renew an existing one to operate in the EU after Brexit. If the authorisation expires before 31 July 2020, it needs to be renewed before Brexit. The Interbus Agreement does not yet cover regular, scheduled services, but it should soon and details will be available online. Cabotage work will no longer be permitted after a no-deal Brexit.

If there’s a no-deal Brexit, operators will not be able to run:

  • Regular services to outside of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway;
  • Occasional services to countries which are not in the EU or are not part of the Interbus Agreement; or
  • Regular or special regular services in the EU after 31 July 2020.

Operators can drive through countries that are not in the Interbus Agreement, but they cannot be the destination. For example, the service could drive through Switzerland, but it would not be allowed to stop there.

Drivers will need to carry vehicle registration documents when driving abroad for less than 12 months. This can be either:

  • The vehicle log book (V5C), if you have one; or
  • A VE103 to show you’re allowed to use a hired or leased vehicle abroad.

A GB sticker must be displayed, and trailers will need to be registered and insured separately. A green card will be needed for each vehicle and trailer. If a policy expires and is renewed during the trip, a green card for each policy will be required.

Drivers will still need to carry their UK driving licence, and might need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries, Iceland and Norway if there’s a no-deal Brexit.

The types of IDPs needed will depend on the countries visited, but an IDP will not be needed to drive in Ireland if the driver has a UK driving licence.
Drivers will still need a Driver CPC to drive professionally in the UK after Brexit and must still complete the Driver CPC periodic training by the normal deadline.

Drivers do not need to do anything else if they are a UK driver working for a UK company.

It will still be possible to drive to or through EU countries with UK Driver CPC qualification for all international journeys that UK companies are allowed to make after a no-deal Brexit.

Drivers who work for an EU company and have a UK Driver CPC qualification will need to exchange their UK Driver CPC qualification for an EU one if they work for an EU company or want to work for one. They can then work for both EU and UK companies after Brexit. It must be exchanged before Brexit.

For drivers working for a UK company and with an EU Driver CPC qualification, the UK will recognise Driver CPC qualifications from EU countries after Brexit.

The site also provides details of passport, healthcare and visa changes that may occur if there is a no-deal Brexit, as well as advice on how to deal with a road traffic accident.