Road Car livery makes Leeds return

News stories are free to read. Click here for full access to all the features, articles and archive from only £2.99.
(L-R) Pat Monaghan, ex-WYRC driver; Paul Blackburn, ex-WYRC driver; Michael Waring, ex-WYRC Area Manager and Bob Dorr, Business Manager for First West Yorkshire and ex-WYRC Operations Manager
(L-R) Pat Monaghan, ex-WYRC driver; Paul Blackburn, ex-WYRC driver; Michael Waring, ex-WYRC Area Manager and Bob Dorr, Business Manager for First West Yorkshire and ex-WYRC Operations Manager

25 years have passed since West Yorkshire Road Car buses were last on the road, and First West Yorkshire has celebrated the well-known brand by repainting one of its current fleet into the historic red and cream livery.

The Wrightbus Gemini-bodied Volvo B7TL double-decker Leeds bus was hand painted by the team at the Hunslet Park bus depot and will operate on routes across Leeds but particularly on the Leeds to Otley corridor.

Originally established as Harrogate Road Car Company in 1906, West Yorkshire Road Car was formed in 1927 and went on to have bus depots across Yorkshire including Leeds, Bradford, Otley, Ilkley, Harrogate and York.

Known as the ‘Jewel in the Crown’ of the National Bus Company, the business was sold to AJS Group in 1988 with the Leeds and Bradford depots moving under Yorkshire Rider in 1989. The then Managing Director of West Yorkshire Road Car and current First UK Bus MD, Giles Fearnley, led a management buy-out in 1991 forming Blazefield Travel.

Bob Dorr, Business Manager for First West Yorkshire in Leeds, said: “We’re proud to present this Leeds bus in the livery of West Yorkshire Road Car.

“This was a very well-known livery across Yorkshire for many years and First West Yorkshire is pleased to be able to remember the traditional brands of the past with the modern, accessible and high standard of services that connect our communities today.”