The Scottish National Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh has re-opened its doors after two years, following a £17.6m refurbishment.
The free entry attraction now has 60% more public and exhibition space, a larger café and shop, a purpose-built education suite and a learning and resource centre.
Dating back to 1889, the gallery, housed in a neo-gothic building of red sandstone, features more than 3,000 paintings and 25,000 works on paper. As well as the many portraits of historical Scottish figures, for the last 30 years the gallery has also commissioned portraits of living Scots by contemporary artists.
There are numerous exhibitions and attractions at the Edinburgh venue over the coming months. A full programme of the schedule is available on the website.
The Britannia Coach Park is just five minutes away from the gallery and offers free parking during the day.
For more information call 0131 624 6200 or visit www.nationalgalleries.org