TfL and Mayor launch three Low Emission Bus Zones

News stories are free to read. Click here for full access to all the features, articles and archive from only £2.99.

Following closely behind the launch of the capital’s Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) on 8 April, Transport for London and Mayor Sadiq Khan have introduced three new Low Emission Bus Zones (LEBZ), aiming to further reduce emissions.

Adding to the 10 existing LEBZs in the city, the three new zones in Lewisham, Stratford and Edmonton will cover over 1,330 buses and 79 routes.

Only Euro VI or electric buses will now be allowed to operate in the zones, with some existing Euro V vehicles receiving retrofit systems to ensure their compliance.

According to TfL, the introduction of these three zones will take the total number of clean buses (i.e. Euro VI or electric) introduced as a result of LEBZs to over 3,000.

The announcement is the latest in a long line of measures on the road to an entirely zero-emission fleet in London – the Mayor’s vision.

More than 75% of the city’s buses have already been upgraded to Euro VI or better, and the remaining 25% are due to meet the standard by October next year.

If this is achieved, the entire city will effectively become a LEBZ.

The three zones are as follows:

Lewisham to Catford from Bromley Road (at the junction with Whitefoot Lane and Southend Lane), along Rushey Green, Lewis Grove and Lewisham High Street to Lewisham Road (to the junction with Blackheath Road), affecting more than 470 buses operating 31 bus routes;

Stratford from Mile End Road (at Mile End Station) to Romford Road (up to Lugg Approach), affecting more than 360 buses operating 25 bus routes; and

Edmonton to Seven Sisters from Ponders End High Street (by Nags Head Road) via Fore Street to Seven Sisters Road (by Blackstock Road), affecting more than 500 buses operating 23 bus routes.

Sadiq Khan said: “London is facing an air quality emergency, with pollution from vehicles, including buses, responsible for over half the harmful emissions we breathe.

Low Emission Bus Zones
Older, pre-Euro VI vehicles will need to be upgraded to be able to operate in Lewisham. ANDY STOPPARD

“Our existing LEBZs have dramatically reduced pollution and improved the health of thousands of Londoners who live or work along the routes – I’m delighted we can now bring the benefits to Lewisham, Stratford and Edmonton.

“These zones complement the introduction of the world’s first ULEZ in central London earlier this month.

“Experts estimate that without action it would take 193 years to bring London’s air quality to within legal levels – but with the action we’re taking we can hope to achieve this goal in just six years.”

 

You can read more Bus News here: cbwmagazine.com/category/news/buses