Range now includes new coaches and India’s first tri-axle bus
INDIA Volvo launched a new range of citybuses and coaches in India on December 29. The new products are aimed at raising standards in both market segments. The new coach is aimed at the second tier of routes and cities in India. Present at the launch were Hakan Karlsson, President, Volvo Bus Corporation and Akash Passey, MD and CEO, Volvo Buses in South Asia.
The three new models take the firm’s bus range to 10 different products and reinforce its decision to raise safety standards by introducing enhanced Front Underrun Protection (FUP) and Frontal Impact Protection (FIP) systems across all its coaches.
Hakan Karlsson said: “Three months ago we promised we would play a bigger role in the progress of the Indian bus industry and announced an investment of INR 400 crore. We now have a product range to take us there. Our focus remains to drive quality of life and with our current range we will be spreading the Volvo experience to a larger market in the country. We have defined a clear role for India in the future – as one of the largest markets in the group, a global hub for selected models, local product development and which uses the synergies we hold as a group in India. Today, we can proudly say we have set our foundation.”
Akash Passey said: “We now have the local competence and experience to raise the momentum of change manifold. This is just as we expand our market access and raise standards and expectations. We are on our way to reaching our vision of a $1bn company with 5,000 buses produced each year. Importantly, with every new product we are touching areas of national and human value – improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, attractive public transport, safer and more comfortable travel.”
The new models are:
- The Volvo 9400PX – the first tri-axle 14.5m coach for India built on the new lightweight PX platform. Aimed at intercity operation it is claimed to provide better grade ability and acceleration as well as enhanced stability and larger luggage space. It features Volvo’s 11-litre 370bhp engine, I-Shift gearbox and a steerable tag-axle for better road handling and manoeuvrability.
- Volvo 7400XL is India’s first tri-axle bus with a steered axle. At 14.5m it offers high passenger capacity and high operational efficiency;
- The Volvo 9100 coach is a global introduction for Asia, produced in Asia. This new coach is an integral part of Volvo Buses’ ambition to drive up the quality of transport across the country to more cities and routes.
The complete Volvo Buses range in India now includes:
- Volvo 9400PX Multi-axle at 14.5m, PX platform & 11-litre engine
- Volvo 9400XL Multi-axle at 13.7m with 9 litre engine
- Volvo 9400 with 9-litre configuration
- Volvo 9400 with 7-litre configuration
- Volvo 9100
- Volvo 7400XL citybus
- Volvo 7400 citybus
- Volvo 7400CNG citybus
- Volvo 7400Semi-Lowfloor citybus
- Volvo 8400 Commuter citybus.