First Leicester, with the help of the Leicester Transport Heritage Trust, has marked the 90th anniversary of the first motorbus service in Leicester
Municipal buses were introduced between the city centre and St Philip’s Church on Evington Road on July 24, 1924 using six Bruch-bodied Tilling- Stevens with solid types.
The Lord Mayor of Leicester, Cllr John Thomas as well as invited guests boarded four buses at Leicester’s town hall to go to a reception at the racecourse where they were welcomed by First Midlands Managing Director Nigel Eggleton.
The Lord Mayor gave an entertaining account of his early memories of travelling by bus while Heritage Trust Director Mike Greenwood delivered a short presentation covering highlights over the last 90 years. Two of the First Leicester buses used had been painted in traditional Leicester liveries.