Stagecoach announced on July 25 it is introducing an expanded bus network in Devon, providing new services and creating a small number of additional jobs. The new registered services largely mirror the services previously operated by First. From Monday September 24, the new and expanded services will be operated out of the company’s depot in Barnstaple, which currently employs around 120 staff and runs around 50 buses. Around 12 extra vehicles will be added to the fleet and Stagecoach is recruiting new drivers.
New services will include:
- Service X7, an express direct service, will run hourly between South Molton and Barnstaple Bus Station
- Service X9 will provide a link between Bude, Holswothy, Okehampton and Exeter, with services running approximately every two hours.
- Service 21 will now operate between Westward Ho!, Bideford, Instow Quay, Fremington, Barnstaple, Braunton, and Ilfracombe.
- Service 21A will now operate between Appledore, Bideford, East the Water, Fremington, Barnstaple and Braunton.
The expanded network will bring a boost to people in North Devon, whose services are currently under threat after First announced the closure of its Barnstaple depot.
Stagecoach will provide:
- A 20min daytime service from Westward Ho! Bideford and Barnstaple to Ilfracombe with a 30min evening and Sunday service.
- More links from Ilfracombe to Barnstaple Rail Station, particularly during the evening and on Sundays.
- A 10min service between Northam, Bideford, Barnstaple and Braunton, with a 30min evening and Sunday service.
- A 20min daytime service from Westward Ho! Bideford, Barnstaple and Ilfracombe to Instow Quay and hourly during the evening and on Sundays.
- A 20min daytime service from Braunton, Barnstaple and Bideford to Appledore and a new hourly evening and Sunday service which extends to Ilfracombe.
- A 20min daytime service from Ilfracombe, Barnstaple, Instow and Bideford to Westward Ho! plus an hourly evening and Sunday service.
- A 20min daytime service from Appledore, Bideford, East the Water and Barnstaple to Braunton and West Meadow Road.
The X9 service will run in competition with Western Greyhounds extended 599, which the company registered extended journeys on last week.